Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Welcome to Kwig




Yesterday I flew to the village of Kwigillingok or Kwig as we say up here. I was told that it means "no river". I was also told that the next time I was there I would get the explanation as to why it is named that. Ok then!
I was picked up by snowmobile and driven to the school. Sorry to say I did not get any pictures- sorry Mom! It was a very nice school - great principal and staff. They were all quite surprised that I made it in- there were 30-40 mile crosswinds. I had no idea- the plane ride was fine- not even bumpy! I must say that I was a little nervous about getting out........
The school is currently without a special education teacher. The teacher that started this year just got on a plane and left at the end of October! I made my first home visit during this trip. It was interesting to say the least! No running water or heat- just a wood-burning stove in the center of the house.
While I was waiting to see if the plane was coming at the end of the day, I walked around the village a little. Despite the cold and winds, boys were playing the famous tundra basketball-OUTSIDE!
Notice also the fish drying racks with strings of herring.
(BTW- the plane arrived and flew me safely back to Bethel!)

No comments: