Thursday, February 19, 2009

Return to Kwig




I made a return visit to the village of Kwig this trip. Kwig sits on the coast of the bay leading out to the Arctic Ocean. The weather is often an issue, so getting in and out can be a bit tricky. I had been weathered out the entire first week, but when a break in the wind and storm came, I decided to give it a try.
During my flight out I met a young Yup'ik man who was returning home for a visit. He had just gotten a new cell phone (yes, cell service has now reached the villages and young and old alike can be seen using the latest technology). I made a comment about hoping someone would be at the airstrip to pick me up (even though there was a break in the weather, the wind chill was still 20 below). He took out his cell phone and called ahead to the school's principal to let him know I was on the plane! The wonders of modern technology!

No comments: