Thursday, February 19, 2009

Nelson Island School (Toksook Bay)




My final village visit this trip was to Toksook Bay. I have to admit, this is my favorite village. It is the largest village I visit, and in the most beautiful spot right on the shores of the arctic ocean. There is a herd of Musk Ox nearby (although I have not seen them yet!) This was the village I visited first back in October. The people are great and very welcoming.
The school here actually owns a truck and I always look forward to landing here as I know a warm vehicle will be waiting. This time, as we flew in I could not see the truck waiting. Another teacher on the plane informed me that because of the weather the truck was not currently being used. I was quite disappointed because Toksook's airstrip is the farthest distance from the school of any of the villages. (Keep in mind the temperature was 50 below on this particular day!) I eventually made it to the school and that evening when I left, I was fortunate enough to receive a ride from some construction workers.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love reading your stories Brooke. Keep 'em coming!
:-)